Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday, 7:22 PM

I am finally here in Seoul. Some of you will ask how the flight went? Well I'll put it bluntly. One crying baby to my right, a feisty little kid to my back and a whole load of noise from numerous "turbulence incoming" warnings. I'm quite tired, but thankfully we arrived in korea at a time when sleeping is supposed to happen, rather than arriving at 4 in the morning like two years ago.

I will grab a picture of this later as well, for those of you who have me on facebook, you should be able to find my mobile uploads as I went through the airports and stuff! So go check that out.

I think I would like to make a general statement with regards to the impressions I first had this time around being a bit more aware of what to look for. It's dusk and the sun is about to set, and as we leave Incheon I feel some pressure upon me. It was only about a half hour car ride to get here, but the moment we hit the edge of Seoul first thing that comes to mind. Crosses. Red Crosses, filling the skyline along the elevated highway. It made me realize and think hard about the difference over in North America and here in Asia with regards to the declaration of the faith.

With the recent collapse of the world economy and especially with the US, as a Christian it makes me want to not only analyze the situation from a practical point of view, but from a spiritual view as well. All the current first world countries in the world save perhaps Japan and China, got to their status with a common worldview. That being the Christian worldview. With the implementation of pluralism and the rejection of faith and theistic entities, perhaps coincidentally their economies and arguably their societies went awry. Where belonging to the Way was once a norm, has now become something to be ridiculed, a mockery of western society.

And along comes Korea, a tiny little country on a peninsula that is coming out of the second world state it once was, and being responsible for some of the largest corporations in the technological world today.

I'm going to be honest, I find a lot of Koreans intimidating despite being one. Not because they aren't nice or whatever, but because of their fearlessness and sheer determination in all aspects of their life. Especially within their faith. They are the only country crazy enough, brave enough, to be sending evangelical missionaries to the middle east amongst the amount of strife that goes on there. Red crosses everywhere, a nation unafraid, unashamed of what they believe in, willing to shout out to the world what they believe in and what they stand for.

Dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment