Friday, March 20, 2009

In Daegu, Reflection of Kyeong Ju

Had an awesome time past few days, but didn't have any internet access whatsoever until last night. Was busy eating at the highest class restaurant in the city and then seeing the skyline from the 23rd floor of the richest of my uncle's apartment. SO that being said let's talk about dialects. Man, I was embarrassed yesterday in the subway on the way back from the restaurant because I had no idea what one of the other passengers was saying to me. He had apparently asked me if I could shift down a seat so he could sit next to his friend, but at first I thought he said he wanted to take a look at my phone. It had never occurred to me that the dialects of people in this country could be create such a contrast because I'm so used to listening to the Seoul "normal" dialect of the country. It sounded like this man was speaking with a really thick indian accent in his korean at first and at some points in the more rural farm areas of the country, some of the people sound like they're speaking an entirely different language. Their honorifics change as well as you move into different provinces. Considering how small the country is, it's pretty funny to hear how much a language can change as you shift to other parts of it.

Anyways here are some pictures. The "hills" are actually tombs, some real authentic KBBQ, not the one's that you other people eat at commerce or up in markham etc. LARGEST SLICES OF PORK I HAVE EVER SEEN, WAS VERY DELICIOUS. And some blooms form Korean magnolia trees. They are GIANT size, wow. Back in Canada they're little bunches of tiny white flowers. Here it looks like someone injected them with roids or something.

Back to Seoul tonight, and some "normal" stuff to do again. My sister and I were getting a bit bored of climbing mountains and looking at statues and temples... My dad was thrilled the entire time. My mom... She just came along for the ride pretty much





1 comment:

  1. mmmm kbbq! OK, so I totally know what you're talking about w/ the dialects thing. When I was in the South of Taiwan..I felt so foreign cuz they speak a different dialect there than mandarin (and I thought my mandarin was ok too) and I had no idea what they were saying lol. Its so funny to hear them announce stops in 4 languages on the subway in Taiwan..thats one more than the HK ones..and it takes forever..that by the time they're done announcing..the train has arrived! :p

    ReplyDelete